TRY THE WHOLE CHICKEN ON A CAN METHOD
– in the South this is known as “Beer In The Butt Chicken” Well you know what I call it then. It’s got a nice ring to it.
Here are the simple steps:
- For the Chicken on the Can method you will need 1 can (12 ounces) NON-diet soda (Dr. Pepper offers a great flavor, however you can use any soda)
- Remove the upper grill rack and see if the whole chicken fits standing up in the grill with the lid down. –> If the chicken fits, remove chicken and set an open can of NON diet soda (pour out half of the soda first), on the grill. Stand the chicken over top of the can, so the can is in its inner cavity of the chicken. If grill only has one level or cooks hot, use double-thick aluminum foil underneath chicken.
- Grill 20 minutes per pound, or until done.*If the chicken doesn’t fit standing: Cut it up, cover it with the Steves Famous Dry Rub, and grill it without the soda. Turn chicken every 5–10 minutes, until done.
- To check doneness, squeeze chicken to see if juices run clear. If you aren’t satisfied, cut it open to check for doneness.
Makes 3–5 servings
This Dry Rub is Fantastic on CHICKEN, BEEF and LAMB as well! – This stuff is amazingly universal.
* 1 Tbs coarse salt (Kosher, NOT pickling salt)
* 1 Tbs sugar
* 1 Tbs celery salt
* 1 Tbs brown sugar
* 1 Tbs garlic salt
* 1 Tbs ground black pepper
* 2 Tbs paprika
Steve’s Famous Rub will soon be available for purchase : Rubs & Spices Coming Soon!